Have you guys ever had mac n’cheese over a campfire? Given my track record you can probably guess that this is a mac n’cheese version that is filled with that smoky flavor, sausage, and bacon. Usually, I let cheese be the star of this dish because duh, it’s in the name. But this version the smoky flavor and meat is just a notch above the cheese.
I know, I know, I need to cool it on the liquid smoke. I go through phases with food ingredients and right now I’m just in a liquid smoke phase. So you’ll just have to go through it with me. Seriously though, trust me, you’ll love it. I love plain ol’ mac n’ cheese and will probably post another version of it in the future but if you’re craving that comforting campfire taste- you’ll probably need to make this tonight.
We’ve been so busy with finals week and packing up the house to move to South Carolina and I love that I can look forward to these leftovers 🙂 For anyone who cares about our move- it is going great, we kind of just want to get it over with, but we are excited and things are going smoothly. We are ready to progress to this next stage in our life.
ALSO, I can’t believe I almost forgot to mention this because it’s probably the #1 thing I’m most excited for in SC. I forgot what the restaurant is called, I’ll find out, but it is the BEST BBQ I’ve ever had in my life. Entire life. No joke. I can’t stress it enough. I’ll blog about it when I get there. It won’t be a recipe or anything. It’ll just be something you can drool over. I can’t wait to show you guys. SO GOOD.
I’ve noticed that I post a lot of carbs… Should I just make that my thing? It’s turning into a carbohydrate blog with a few exceptions here and there. I think that’s a sign I’m on the right track though because carbs = yummy. It also equals weight gain. But we don’t need to go there.
Gosh, I know this might come off braggy but doesn’t it look like, super good? I’m dying here.
Campfire Mac n’ Cheese (at home!)
- 4 1/2 TBSP butter
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk or half and half. (Half and half is pretty dang good in it. But milk is fine too!)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup bacon (I used bacon bits)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (depending on how intense you want the flavor. Taste and if you want more, add more.)
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 3 sausage links
- Cook your macaroni, drain, and set aside.
- Melt your butter and saute your diced sausage links in them. Add your flour into it until a paste forms onto the sausage. For a thicker sauce, add 2 more tbsp.
- Add your chicken broth and milk. Keep stirring frequently. Add your bacon, mustard, and liquid smoke. Stir while simmering until thick. I let mine simmer/stir for about 10 minutes to soak up all the flavor and to get to the consistency I liked.
- Melt in your Parmesan and Cheddar cheese.
This picture above just makes me laugh because it looks like miles and hills of mac n’cheese.
And because I like to be honest: I really didn’t feel like making a side dish with this so I threw on some frozen broccoli just for the picture. So, yeah, that’s frozen broccoli.
Until next week!