I think this might be my favorite yet! I loved this chicken. I was originally making my mom’s Broccoli Chicken Casserole, which is a family favorite but like most of my recipes on here, it turned into something different. I’ve been on a roll this week with cooking and I am not too humble to brag about it. Two days ago I made my best batch of cinnamon rolls to date (They will be on the blog next week!) and I also made a pasta that Ceth said was his favorite pasta he has ever had. So I’m feelin’ pretty darn good about myself and I’m so excited to share those recipes with you soon! Isn’t it the best when your family loves what you made?
This is such an easy meal that’s great for Summer. All I did was put 7 chicken breasts in the skillet with about half a cube of butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and let them cook while I cut up some onions to throw in there to caramelize.
I had my chicken on medium to medium-high cooking with the onions for about 15 or so minutes. It’s just the best when you see the onions caramelizing. I had a pot of boiling water cooking my veggies but I ended up throwing them in with the skillet after so you can probably save a step and just throw em’ in there with the chicken if you have enough room. Also, I used frozen veggies for convenience. I’m sure fresh would have just thrown this dish over the top though!
While the chicken was cooking (you just kinda let it sit there and flip them over once in awhile and make sure they have enough butter so they’re not sticking), I was making the sauce to go over it.
You start out with a simple white sauce: melt the butter in the pot, add flour, and add milk. Stir till it thickens. But you also need to add your salt and softened cream cheese and whisk till it’s completely incorporated. Then you add your parmesan cheese and basil.
There you have it!
Basil Cream Sauce over Chicken and Veggies
For the chicken:
- about 7 chicken breasts
- salt, pepper
- 2 cups diced onion
- 1/4 cup of butter
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup flour
- 8 TBSP butter
- 4 oz. Softened cream cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups milk
- whatever veggies you have on hand
- Butter your pan for the chicken. Lay your chicken breasts in the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Dice 2 cups of onions and put them in with the chicken. Let it cook, stirring occasionally to make sure they are not sticking to the pan. If they are, add more butter. Flip your chicken breasts when they are browned to your liking. I like mine pretty dark. You can use my pictures above to gauge. They are going to cook on each side for about 8-10 minutes depending on your heat.
- While they are cooking, cook your vegetables and start your sauce. I boiled my vegetables. Melt your butter and mix in your flour to make a paste. Whisk in your milk until your sauce is thick. Whisk in your softened cream cheese until completely incorporated. If it’s not softened just put it in the microwave before throwing it in. You are going to want it to be simmering to boiling to fully incorporate.
- Add your parmesan cheese, salt, and your basil. Scoop over your chicken and veggies.
We ate ours on the front porch. Calvin was snoozing away on grandma so I got to enjoy this meal without any distractions but the nice evening weather.
That belly is my favorite. Not mine, his. The below picture. Lol. Food blogging has definitely not helped me in that area ..
As always, if you try it out let me know how it goes or if you have any feedback, made any changes, yada yada yada… you know the drill.
Annndd.. one last picture because I really liked them.