I gottss another MOM recipe for you all!
This one is the ultimate mom recipe because my own mom used to make a variation of it when I was younger and I loved it. I remembered it only about a year ago and I’ve added to it and made it my own. It’s making me miss my momma though since we live across the country! Especially now that Calvin’s first birthday is coming up in 8 days! So crazy. Time absolutely flies. Okay, okay, here’s a cute picture if you have to see one. Gosh, don’t beg. It’s not like I don’t share enough of my boy even though it’s a food blog. 🙂
Yep, that’s our little cowboy. If you ever want me to talk your ear off just ask me about my family 🙂 Sorry, back to this meal!
I love my mexican food. I love my Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Enchiladas, love fajitas, love Spanish rice but this is the most simple, quick one out of all of my dishes I turn to. It only takes me about 15 minutes to make. That’s not a whole lot for feeding a family of 5 plus a baby on the hip, right?
- 4 chicken breasts- sliced in half if thick so they are about 1/4 inch thick each
- 2 bell peppers ( I used red and green)
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup of cheese, give or take according to preference
- taco seasoning or chili powder and cumin
- Slice your breasts so they are thinner. Spread them out on a greased hot skillet. Season with taco seasoning or if you do not have taco seasoning, chili powder and cumin. Add salt and pepper. Put it on Medium and put a lid over the skillet and leave for about 5-7 minutes. Flip the chicken pieces and do it again.
- At this point your chicken should be about done. Add your can of drain black beans and bell peppers. Let them saute for a few minutes with the lid off.
- Sprinkle with as much cheese as you want! So, a lot for me. 🙂 Sprinkle with cilantro.
I absolutely loved the rice I made to go with this meal but I don’t have the exact recipe I used but I do have my notes on it. This is more for me than you 🙂 I felt like it really made the meal.
- around 3 cups uncooked rice
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can chopped green chilis
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup cheese
- Clean the rice and drain. Add the tomato paste, chilis, and crumbled bouillon cubes. Stir.
- Add enough water to the rice so that it is about an inch deep until you can touch the rice. Stir.
- Put it on a stove at low heat with the lid on for about 15 minutes stirring every now and then.
- Add cheese once it is done.
P.s. it makes great leftovers.