Grits! An ultimate comfort food. I started making these a couple years back when I had Calvin. It was a complicated Shrimp and Grits recipe that was really good but really time consuming so I knew it wasn’t going to be made in the future if I didn’t simplify it. I have kept making it and now that it is a simple and yummy grits recipe I stopped adapting it and have been sticking to this recipe for awhile now. What I love about it is that it can be diverse though so feel free to substitute or put your own spin on it so it works for your family.
Cheesy Grits w/ Sausage, Bell peppers, and Onion
- Grits (I get the quick kind)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cheese
- 7 oz smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 bell peppers- I use 1/2 yellow, 1/2 orange, and 1 Red
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 TBSP butter
- 3 TBSP flour
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t chili powder
- Dice all of the vegetables and slice your sausage.
- Cook your grits according to the package. I use the 3 cups water, 3/4 cup grits, 3/4 t salt measurement. Once cooked add your cheese and stir till melted in. Set aside.
- Cook all your vegetables in a pan- no butter needed.
- Once all cooked, melt butter and add flour. Stir.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and Chicken broth. and stir till it’s a thick sauce coating the vegetables.
- Top your grits with a heaping spoonful of veggies and sausage and sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Hope you all enjoy!